home about contact favorite featured blogs

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Spark Joy

To start off the New Year, I have a great book for you! Some of you have heard about the book called, "The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up" by Marie Kondo. I haven't read that book yet, although it sounded fascinating to me. They were talking about that book at my book club. There were mixed reviews about it. Overall, they thought that she had some great organizing ideas about organizing but that she was rather pretentious. As soon as I got home, I looked the book up. The author has written another book called, "Spark Joy".

I can honestly tell you that it's amazing! It's an easy read and it really has some incredible ideas. The best is that she explains why you are doing this method and gives great picture demonstrations. I know it seems foreign to some people, but the idea is that your possessions should all spark joy in your life. If the things you have don't make you happy, why do you have them? I took some notes on the first two chapters (yes, that's how much I love cleaning!). Take a look and you and see if the method intrigues you like it intrigues me!

..........

Spark Joy Notes
Overview

  • finish discarding before tidying
  • Tidy by category, not room 
  • Order of 1. Clothes 2. Books 3. Papers 4. Miscellany 5. Sentimental items
  • Ask if it sparks joy. You are not deciding what to discard, but what to keep 
  • Thank the item. By fostering an appreciation for things, it reminds you to take better care of what you have. 
  • If you take good care of your home, it will attract another one to you 


Chapter 1
“Tidying is the act of confronting yourself; cleaning is the act of confronting nature"
Meaning that tidying is organizing possessions and cleaning is getting rid of dirt. 

-year end cleaning leads to things being half done 
-tidying orders the mind while cleaning purifies it. 
-you find what brings joy when you compare items 

There are other emotions besides excitement or fascination that cause joy. An item that makes life easier, etc can cause joy. 
Some items may not cause you joy... Like a screwdriver brings me no happiness. But it does allow me to change batteries in toys much easier than using a butter knife so it 'sparks joy'.

-the things we need definitely make our lives happier 
-the theme is appreciating every item you use 
-sometimes our lack of joy can show your true inner self
She discusses a client who hated every item that was involved in her job which led her to realize she needed a change in career to make her life happier. 

“When you wear and surround yourself with the things you love, your house becomes your own personal paradise.”

Some clutter will happen even once you have tidied. But since everything has a place, it will be faster to pick up. 

Anxiety about organizing comes with not seeing the whole picture.

..........

I am not really one that usually enjoys these types of books, but with a new house on my mind a lot lately, this definitely was appropriate. Hopefully this gives you some good ideas for the new year!

And just because I didn't get around to a Christmas post, here is my favorite snap from the holiday season!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment